Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What I read in Mexico City...

I stocked up on ebooks to read at IBBY, and got to some that had be languishing on my iPad, too.

11/22/1963 (2011). It had been a long time since I'd read any Stephen King, but I loved this one. Time travel, swing dancing, the 1960s -- my favorite bit was the Rolling Stones "slip" which gives "George" away to his beloved. Top notch plotting and well-researched, too.

The Dinner (2013) and Summer House with Swimming Pool (2014), both by Herman Koch I love anything about Holland, so I had been sort-of saving The Dinner. Though I loved the scene-setting, and the narratorial voices were strong, I really didn't get the hype surrounding either, but it is nice to read something in translation.

Rustication (2014) by Charles Palliser. Nicely done suspense, set on a marshy promontory in Victorian England, with a dissolute protagonist who has been sent down from Cambridge for unrevealed offenses. It's drawn out, and chilling, with revelation after revelation, and doesn't pull punches.

What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw (1957), The Body in the Library (1942), They Came to Bagdad (1951), and The Murder at the Vicarage (1930) Agatha Christie is my security blanket, and as such re-reading her is something never appreciated more than when away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment