Monday, March 23, 2015

Who are YOU going to be voting for?

Apologies! I thought I had posted this earlier, but I guess I just saved as draft...

I had a tough time deciding which of the four (!) candidates I marked for my ALA election ballot, but I do have some informed suggestions for the youth services librarians' elections, friends and colleagues who I know will do a terrific job...




ALSC

Position: ALSC Board of Directors

My endorsement: Mary Voors, Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, IN
Think the ALSC blog rocks? Mary is the mastermind!

Position: Caldecott 2017 Committee

My endorsements:
Stacy Dillon, Little Red School House & Elisabeth Irwin High School (LREI), New York, NY
Stacy is one of the smartest school librarians around.

Brian Wilson, Evanston Public Library, Evanston, IL
Brian was on the 2014 Odyssey committee with me. He is funny and thoughtful and a real children's literature expert.

Position: Newbery 2017 Committee

My endorsements:
Laura Lutz, Convent of the Sacred Heart, New York, NY
Laura was in my 2008 Emerging Leaders cohort. We worked on a project showcasing Native authors, and she was an expert bibliographer even then. She also has Carnegie experience.

Betsy Fraser, Calgary Public Library, Calgary, AB CANADA
Betsy and I were on Council together. She fights the good fight.

Terrell Young, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
Terry and I are on the USBBY Board of Directors together, and like everyone in that group, he is totally concerned with what's best for children everywhere.

Position: Wilder 2017 Committee

My endorsement: Luann Toth, School Library Journal, New York, NY
I can always count on seeing Luann at USBBY events. She is smart and funny and very well-informed. She has the long view necessary for this position.


YALSA

Position: YALSA President-elect

My endorsement: Sarah Hill, Information Services Librarian, Lake Land College, Mattoon, IL
Sarah was on the Odyssey with me as well. I felt like we had the most overlap when it came to literary taste...and I love that she's working with older teens. She doesn't have opposition, but that doesn't mean she's not the woman for the job.

Position: YALSA Board of Directors

My endorsement: Kate McNair Teen Services Coordinating Librarian, Johnson County Library, Overland Park, KS
Kate chaired a preconference where I presented an eon ago, and I always enjoy seeing her and catching up. She will bring a practitioner perspective to this group.

Position: Printz Award Committee

My endorsement: Janet Hilbun, Assistant Professor, Library, University of North Texas, School of Library and Information Sciences, Denton, TX
One of my doctoral advisors, Janet reads lots. She's a veteran of BFYA and Nonfiction and wrote a killer dissertation on Christianity in YA lit.


AASL

Position: President-elect

My endorsement: Dorcas Hand, Annunciation Orthodox School, Houston, TX
Dorcas is a tireless, selfless school librarian who changed my understanding of advocating for our students. She is exactly the sort of literate and articulate leader we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment