Monday, September 24, 2012

That new iPhone


I preordered that new iPhone. It was sitting on my front porch waiting for me while I watched students with theirs on Friday. Little did I know, it would take me three days to get it operational, and I'm still double-phoning...

Friday: Backup and upgrade iPhone 4. Realize computer OS will not support requisite iTunes version for activating new computer. Worry.

Saturday: Backup iPhone 4 to iCloud. Not having a physical backup makes me queasy. This takes about two hours as computer must be 1. plugged in 2. locked and 3. connected to wifi.

Sunday: Restore iPhone 5 from iCloud backup. Find number in AT&T support forums to call and complete activation. Had lots of fun "finding my iPhone." It is gorgeous, faster, and feather-weight.

Note: When I got my iPhone 4, my original iPhone looked like it had been through the wars, and the display was beginning to deteriorate. More than two years later, my iPhone 4 looks mint.

I like all the new wrinkles, especially Passbook. It does look like this version of iOS is really dependent on Location Services for proper functioning. Like the iCloud backup, not something I'm crazy about, but I worry I won't be really using the device to its fullest without it.

In related news, my kitten seems to have broken my first-gen iPad. I think it took an especially vicious knock when he pushed it off the dining room table, and now the display is all mottled, so I will be using my backup, a Motorola Xoom, while I travel about and think about what I need in a tablet.

1 comment:

  1. (The captcha on the latest post is being very weird and not accepting anything I enter so I didn't comment there...though I did report it to support.)

    Enjoy exploring your new iPhone! I'm an Android girl all the way. :)

    Just caught up to the Circulating Ideas podcast...and so enjoyed listening to your experiences and ideas about school libraries. When I hear about great library programs for teens, I almost want to jump from my elementary program and explore the exciting world of teen library services...lol..almost. :) So glad to find an advocate for strong, integrated library media programs!

    ReplyDelete