Monday, July 27, 2015

Find out who you are and do it on purpose



I just finished a book so good and so resonant I didn't want it to end: Dumplin', by Julie Murphy. Willowdean Dickson is a heroine for the ages. I know this will be a go-to recommendation and a regular re-read when I need a boost. In fact, I'm sure I'll revisit the painfully small Adobe Digital Edition text well before the pub date. 

Coming on the heels of reading Adam Silvera's showstopper More Happy Than Not, it seems like 2015 is shaping up as quite the year from YA voice. 

It seems like everyone I know is grappling with anxieties, body images issues, and forms of grief. Hearing someone else giving voice to their challenges and seeing it through to the other side can make reading a transcendental experience. But whatever will I read next?

1 comment:

  1. I'm an adult reader who adored this book. It's light, the protagonist's voice is fresh, and the content builds up women without being preachy. All around a feel-good read I'd highly recommend. If you liked Bernadette or The Storied Life, you'll probably enjoy being in Willowdean's head..

    Jasmine
    Chesapeake Carpet Patching

    ReplyDelete